These are the different health benefits of onions that are really impressive!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ONIONS – Let us discuss the possible benefits of onions, their nutrition, and the effects that you probably don’t know yet.
Onions are among the Allium family of plants along with chives, garlic, and leeks. Not only it is famous for its culinary purposes but it is also famous for its medicinal properties. Onions have different variations in terms of size, shape, color, and flavor.
Photo lifted from BBC Good Food
It can be red, yellow, or white and its flavor may range from juicy, sharp, spicy, and pungent. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the biggest producer of onions worldwide is China.
Raw, white onions have the following nutrition for every half-cup of serving:
- Calories: 32
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: 0 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Sugar: 3 grams
Apart from that, onions are also great sources of vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, manganese, and copper.
And based on a post from Healthline, the following are the potential health benefits of this:
- It has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that may work against inflammation, decrease triglycerides, reduce cholesterol levels, and manage blood pressure. It particularly has quercetin, a flavonoid antioxidant that can help prevent risk factors of heart disease.
- A study has accordingly shown positive results about onions being able to prevent certain types of cancers like stomach cancer and colorectal cancer.
- It can help control blood sugar levels.
- Several studies showed that eating onions is associated with improved bone density.
- Its antibacterial properties can fight certain types of bacteria like Escherichia coli (E. coli), Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), and Bacillus cereus.
- As seen above, onion has fiber and prebiotics which makes it helpful to improve digestive health.
- It is very flexible and you can add it to almost any dish. They add a kick of flavor and also boost your fiber, vitamins, and minerals consumption.
What can you say about this? Let us know!