What is Keto diet and some important details you might want to know about keto diet side effects.
KETO DIET SIDE EFFECTS- Here are some essential details you need to know first about the ketogenic diet, how it is done, and its side effects.
What is a ketogenic diet or more known as Keto diet? According to Health Line, this is a “low-carb, high-fat diet” which has a lot of benefits. This is effective to shed off some pounds and it improves one’s health.
Moreover, as per the article, this kind of diet prevents certain diseases such as diabetes, cancer, epilepsy and Alzheimer’s disease. For a beginner, doing this involves drastic change in your choice of foods as you have to opt to eat those which are high in fat as a replacement to carbs. This means that you have to cut off carbohydrates.
However, despite its benefits, this also have undesirable effects which are the following:
- Hypoglycemia – a short-term and common effects to which the signs are:
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Confusion, anxiety and/or irritability
- Lightheadedness and shakiness
- Sweating and chills
- Low-grade acidosis or ketoacidosis
- Changes in blood composition
- Kidney stones – this is linked to hypocitraturia and hypercalciuria when acidosis makes the bone demineralized and low urine pH can possibly develop crystals and kidney stones
- Bone fracture – this is because of acidosis which weakens the bones
- increased cholesterol and triglycerides levels
- Amenorrhea or other menstrual problems to women as per News Medical
As per Health.com article, other dangers of this diet includes keto flu, diarrhea, reduced athletic performance, weight regain as soon as the person goes back to eating carbs again, less muscle mass, decreased metabolism, and risk of heart disease and diabetes is high.