Question: What is self-esteem? Here’s a definition and some explanations.
WHAT IS SELF-ESTEEM – Self-evaluation is crucial but here are some things to know about a person’s self-esteem and what it means from a psychologist’s perspective.
In a citation, Adler & Stewart, 2004, have defined self-esteem as a person’s overall sense of his or her value or worth or how much a person “values, approves of, appreciates, prizes, or likes him or herself”.
Morris Rosenberg, meanwhile, simply defined it as a person’s attitude towards himself either favorable or unfavorable attitude.
It is believed that certain factors can affect one’s self-esteem such as the following:
- Life experiences
- Social circumstances
- The reactions of others
- Comparison of self to others
In a post from Positive Psychology, this is how self-esteem differs from these concepts:
|This is how we perceive ourselves, an answer to the question “Who am I?” It is how we know our tendencies, thoughts, preferences and habits, hobbies, skills, and areas of weakness.
|This is similar to self-concept – it is how we see ourselves but far from the reality of life in it.
|Hibbert, 2013 says this is “the more global recognition that we are valuable human beings worthy of love”.
|This defines the trust you have in yourself and your belief in yourself in surpassing challenges or solving problems.
|This is your trust or belief in yourself that you can accomplish any task.
|This describes how we relate ourselves to other people.
These are the signs of having strong self-esteem:
- being aware of the difference between being confident and being arrogant
- not afraid of hearing feedback
- not aiming to please other people
- not seeking approval from other people
- able to set boundaries
- not afraid of conflict
- not afraid to speak out opinions
- not pushy but assertive
- do not seek perfection
- not afraid to fail
- no feeling of being inferior
- acceptance of whoever they are
- Broken Heart Syndrome – Is This Heart Condition Deadly?
- Pyridoxine Vitamin – Benefits and the Best Sources Of This Vitamin
What can you say about this? Let us know!