What are low sugar fruits? Here are some that must be in your diet!
LOW SUGAR FRUITS – Eating fruits is an important part of a diet and here are some you must eat as they have low sugar levels.
An excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals are fruits. There are various kinds of fruits and they are high in fiber and antioxidants. They are the major sources of potassium, folate (folic acid), and antioxidants including polyphenols and flavonoids.
They also hold major roles in preventing vitamin C and vitamin A deficiencies.
As much as we all know, experts highly suggest and recommend filling half of our plates with fruits and vegetables during mealtimes.
According to age and gender, here’s the recommended amount to consume daily:
|Group||Age||No. of Servings|
|Children||2–8 years||1–1.5 cups|
|Girls||9–18 years||1.5 cups|
|Boys||9–18 years||1.5–2 cups|
|Women||19–30 years||2 cups|
|Women||31+ years||1.5 cups|
|Men||19+ years||2 cups|
The nutrients we can get from eating a lot of fruits include reduced risk of chronic diseases, better heart health, and protection against cell damage.
However, some fruits have high sugar levels that may have some effects if taken excessively. Fruits with the most sugar include dates, raisins, prunes, grapes, bananas, cherries, mango, pineapple, apple, tangerines, and plums.
Moreover, dried fruits contain more sugar compared to fresh fruits. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) says 1/2 cup of dried fruit equals a one-cup serving of fresh fruit.
Meanwhile, here are some fruits low in sugar and best to be included in your diet:
- Lemons and limes have 1.13 grams and 2.1 grams of sugar, respectively. They are also great sources of vitamin C.
- Berries like raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries.
- Kiwis have 6.7 grams of sugar for each fruit and are also packed with vitamin C.
- Grapefruit has as little as 10.6 grams of sugar and since this is a citrus fruit, it is also rich in vitamin C.
- Avocado fruit has 1 gram of sugar and is a great source of healthy fats.
- Watermelons are sweet and yummy summer treats but in reality, it has very low sugar but is high in electrolytes, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Oranges are not just low in sugar but also low in calories.
Cucumber, papaya, honeydew melon, apricot, blueberry, cranberry, and guava are also fruits that have low sugar levels.
What can you say about this? Let us know!