Here are some things to know about mangosteen and tips for eating this fruit.
MANGOSTEEN – Garcinia mangostana or mangosteen is a famous exotic fruit with several health benefits and this is how it can affect health.
Garcinia mangostana is native to Southeast Asia and can be eaten fresh, canned, or dried. This exotic fruit is used in traditional medicine and it is said to be an alternative cancer treatment making it among the most praised fruit in the world.
Here’s the food value of the edible portion in 100 grams:
- Calories: 60-63
- Moisture: 80.2-84.9 g
- Protein: 0.50-0.60 g
- Fat: 0.1-0.6 g
- Total Carbohydrates: 14.3-15.6 g
- Total Sugars: 16.42-16.82 g
- Fiber: 5.0-5.1 g
- Ash: 0.2-0.23 g
- Calcium: 0.01-8.0 mg
- Iron: 0.20-0.80 mg
- Thiamine: 0.03 mg
- Ascorbic Acid: 1.0-2.0 mg
The data above is according to a study by Morton, J. (1987).
Here are the benefits:
- Abundant in powerful antioxidants like vitamin C and folate.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties like xanthones that help reduces inflammation. Plant compounds and fiber found in it also have anti-inflammatory effects.
- The specific plant compounds including xanthones have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects which reduce the risk of developing cancer.
- Although more studies are needed, a handful has already shown its beneficial effects in helping weight loss.
- It is packed with fiber and vitamin C that supports a healthy immune system.
- The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds protect skin cells resulting in healthy skin.
- It can also have a positive impact on heart health, brain health, and digestive health.
Fresh mangosteens are quite expensive and since it is exotic, its availability is limited. If you want to eat the fresh ones, make sure to get rid of the rind as it is inedible. The flesh is white and juicy and this is the part that can be eaten raw or can also be added to smoothies or salads for some boost in flavor and nutritional value.
- Watermelon Juice Benefits – What You Can Get From Drinking This
- Happy Mood – Do These Tricks To Improve Mood & Be Happier
What can you say about this? Let us know!