What are the examples of non-communicable diseases? Find out below!
EXAMPLES OF NON-COMMUNICABLE DISEASES – Here’s a list of some examples and types of noncommunicable diseases according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
A non-communicable disease is defined as a “group of conditions that are not mainly caused by an acute infection, result in long-term health consequences and often create a need for long-term treatment and care” as per Pan American Health Organization.
Tobacco use, harmful alcohol use, physical inactivity, and eating unhealthy diets are just some of the common risk factors. And from this list, one can draw how to prevent having NCDs.
Based on World Health Organization (WHO), heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and chronic lung disease are the major causes of 70% of all deaths worldwide.
Here are some main types of NCDs according to UNICEF:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Preventable cancers
- Chronic respiratory diseases, including asthma
- Mental health conditions
According to PAHO, here are some key facts about NCDs:
- NCDs kill 41 million people each year worldwide.
- 15 million people aging 30 and 69 years old die each year because of NCDs
- Cardiovascular diseases are on top claiming 17.9 million lives worldwide every year followed by cancers (9.0 million), respiratory diseases (3.9million), and diabetes (1.6 million).
- Tobacco use, physical inactivity, the harmful use of alcohol, and unhealthy diets are the main reasons behind these deaths due to NCDs.
- Detection, screening, and treatment are significant.
WHO suggests the following in order to prevent the development of NCDs:
- reduced tobacco use
- avoid harmful consumption of alcohol
- practice active lifestyle
- keep a healthy diet
The Department of Health (DOH) of the Philippines listed NCDs which included Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, epilepsy, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, cerebrovascular disease (stroke), chronic obstructive, pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery disease, heat stroke, high blood pressure or hypertension, obesity and overweight, diabetes, depressive disorders, and substance abuse such as alcohol and ecstasy.
- Centipede Bite Remedy and Treatment That You Should Know
- Tricep Stretches – What Are The Tricep Stretching Exercises and Its Benefits?
What can you say about this? Let us know!