Here are the foods considered as causes of heartburn and others that may trigger it.
CAUSES OF HEARTBURN – These are the foods that you must avoid in order to prevent heartburn, one of the common symptoms of acid reflux.
A condition that creates a burning pain in the lower chest is heartburn. This is one of the common symptoms of acid reflux. Heartburn happens when the acid flows back to the esophagus. This also causes a foul, acrid taste in the mouth.
And there are certain foods that may actually cause or trigger this. There are some medicines that may help alleviate this like the over-the-counter (OTC) medication antacid.
But, on the other hand, staying away from eating certain types of foods may help you prevent heartburn.
Check out below:
- High fat foods like fries and pizza because they may force the body to produce substances causing irritation to the esophagus.
- Mint like peppermint and spearmint may soothe digestive conditions but not heartburn.
- Citrus juices including orange or grapefruit juice can trigger the symptoms.
- Chocolate is another common trigger because it reduces lower esophageal sphincter (LES) pressure.
- Stay out of spicy foods as they may cause more severe burning sensations. Spicy foods may worsen your condition.
- Onions must also be avoided, especially if it is raw.
- Alcohol, although moderate or excessive, may still worsen GERD symptoms such as heartburn.
- Coffee and caffeinated beverages relaxes the LES which is why it gives you heartburn.
- Sodas and carbonated beverages have the same effects to caffeinated drinks and these drinks also increases stomach acid as per an article from Healthline.
Among the things that you can do to avoid this include stopping yourself from overeating and refraining from eating before bedtime. Also, what can help prevent or improve heartburn symptoms are some lifestyle and behavioral changes.
- Introvert Personality – How To Tell If You Are An Introverted Person
- Causes Of Lung Cancer – Causes and Risk Factors Of Lung Cancer
What can you say about this? Let us know!