Suggested animal bite first aid from medical expert Doc Willie Ong.
ANIMAL BITE FIRST AID – Bitten by a cat or a dog, Doc Willie Ong has the following first aid tips in order to prevent complications.
Infection is the major concern whether it is a dog bite or a cat bite. A dog’s front teeth can grab your tissues and its smaller teeth can tear up your skin which results to open and jagged wound. The infection is caused by the bacteria coming from the mouth of the animal.
The dangerous situation about this is if you get bitten by a stray animal. This is which is why you must know when (if ever) you had your last anti-tetanus vaccine. Rabies is a viral disease transmitted through the bite of an infected animal and this is preventable.
For Doc Willie Ong, here’s what to do with an animal bite:
- Wash the wound and the bitten area thoroughly right away with soap and clean water. You can pinch the damaged area so as to squeeze out the blood and the saliva. Then, apply Povidone iodine and cover it with a clean gauze.
- For a dog bite, if nothing happened to the dog 10 days after the incident, that means that the animal has no rabies.
- Here are some factors to consider to seek prompt medical help:
- deep wound or being not sure how dangerous this can get
- if the bite is near the neck
- exhibits warning signs of infection such as swelling, redness, pain, and fever, in some cases
- for anti-rabies shots and anti-tetanus shots (make sure that the vaccinations is up to date)
See the post below:
- Eye Problems & How To Treat These According To Doc Willie Ong
- HEART HEALTH – What Are The Ways To Take Care Of Your Heart?
What can you say about this? Let us know!